Sunday, October 10, 2010

Looking at maps I already have a preconceived notion of what I am going to see. This is because I have been exposed to maps since kindergarten. My most memorable map would be maps of states. For example I this Nevada map the counties of Nevada. I would not have normally expected to see counties but rather I would see cities. When I was younger and even now I expect to see cities; Las Vegas and Reno. Maps like this are helpful too. My county usually has flashflood warnings and I think it would be helpful on a road trip to know if you were in a county that was having weather warnings. “The history of the map is inextricably linked to the rise of the nation-state in the modern world. Manu of the printed maps of Europe emphasized the estates, waterways, and political boundaries that constituted the politico economic dimensions of European geography” (Laxton 59). As seen in this map boundaries are made but not in states but in counties. I see this as political boundaries as well within the state. Different counties will have different regulations and school districts. This is interesting to see how maps have evolved over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment